Monday, October 17, 2011

Cross-Edition Pollination

Cross-Edition Pollination

So, as I've mentioned before, I'm starting a Microlite74 campaign on my new blog, imperialruin.blogspot.com. Microlite74 is a very old-school type of system, emphasizing the exploration and do-anything feel of the original D&D editions, while utilizing a very streamlined and basic rendition of the D20 SRD. 

However, I'm setting this campaign in the out-of-the-box 4th Edition setting of the Nentir Vale (heavily tweaked, of course, to keep any players with access to 4e material on their toes), and using the 4E pantheon of gods and (if we ever get to it) the 4E planar landscape as well. I may even tweak some of my 4E modules to run in the Microlite system. 

I've seen numerous folks out there in the blogosphere updating old modules to the new systems. WotC did the Tomb of Horrors, and I've seen Temple of Elemental Evil for 4E gameplay reports as well. I was even tinkering about with Night Below and pondered giving Dragonlance a whirl. 

But my question is, anyone out there going the other way like this, and applying the new fluff and stuff to the old-school type game? I really have enjoyed a lot of the fluff, sidebar-type material that WotC has produced for 4E, the mechanics of the system have just been wearing me down. 

2 comments:

  1. My players never really got into 4e, and I'll admit I've had more than a few gripes with the system, but I'll agree that most of the fluff has been very well-written and, mostly, easy to adapt backwards (I did a similar thing with the Nentir Vale and the Labyrinth Lord retroclone). Which is kinda weird seeing as how it's a challenge for me to adapt the older stuff to 4e's ruleset....

    Makes me wonder if WotC would do better just releasing fluff books for other systems. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got limited exposure to newer games, so I haven't had much of an opportunity to take fluff from them. I do use the pictures from the d20srd site to make sure my players know what certain monsters look like (usually after the battle is over- I'll usually describe the monster verbally before a battle). The SRD and 3.5 definitely colors the way I imagine various monsters, since I experienced them before older games; kobolds will always be reptilian in my mind, for example.

    ReplyDelete